Confession: I hardly ever wear jewelry.
Not because I don’t like it, but because I am incompetent at picking it out. I tend to stick to my wedding ring, diamond studs Josh gave me on our wedding day and a vintage ring my grandma gifted me in 1994 that I’ve worn nearly every day since.
I find shopping for casual or costume jewelry overwhelming. Too many options, and so much of the fun stuff seems too risky– like I’ll wear it once and never again. And you know how I feel about having too much crap. Yuck. Not to mention, I don’t want to spend all my monies on non-heirloom jewelry, but I’d rather die than go into a Charming Charlies. It’s like Willie Wonka’s chocolate factory of cheap jewelry, in a very bad way.
This is precisely why Rocksbox is the first company I’ve ever agreed to write about on Hey Eleanor. It’s a no-obligation, jewelry loan service and it’s right up my alley.
Here’s how it works:
- You fill out a style profile and Rocksbox curates a three-piece jewelry sets for you.
- Keep and wear your three Rocksbox pieces for as long as you like, return your set anytime, as often as you like, and they’ll send out a new set of three right away.
- You pay the same membership fee ($19/mo) regardless of how often you exchange your box. When you’re ready for refresh of your box send back all the pieces you don’t wish to purchase.
- If you love a piece, keep it when you return your box and you’ll be billed at a discounted rate.
My first Rocksbox shipment arrived late last week.
Here’s what I got:
Based on my style profile, I’d say these picks are pretty spot on. In fact, I decided to return the earrings and necklace (after wearing it a few times because I could! And I got tons of compliments) because they were so close to two items I already own.
The bracelet though! I’ve worn it for the last five days. Yesterday, I even considered wearing it to the gym. It’s something I never would’ve picked for myself, but I love it! Purchased for $32.
Here’s why I love the Rocksbox concept.
- Someone else does the shopping for me. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy picking out my own stuff, but like I said, jewelry shopping overwhelms me.
- It forces me to try things I might not have picked out myself.
- I only have to look at three pieces, not three thousand.
- I can test drive them for a few days (or weeks!). If I hate how a necklaces lays or realize a bracelet is impossible to wear while I’m typing at my computer, bye Felicia!
- I love getting stuff in the mail because I am a person and can’t help it!
- Lastly, I never, ever feel truly “put together” (something I recently wrote about here). I gotta say, throwing on the necklace and bracelet Rocksbox sent over made me feel instantly like I was wearing and outfit, not clothes. I never feel like I’m wearing an outfit! Maybe accessories are the secret sauce my clothes were missing.
Wanna try Rocksbox for free? Thought so. Here’s how:
Check out a free month at rocksbox.com with promo code: mollymxoxo
Here’s to a put together-feeling summer. Or at least until it’s too hot and sweaty for anyone to look put together.
* * *
Rocksbox is not my first rodeo with online subscription or loaning services.
I quit my Birchbox subscription earlier this year because a million samples cluttering my bathroom was fun for a few months, but then drove me bananas! However, I can’t say enough about how much I love Rent the Runway. It’s the fun of shopping for nice things without cluttering your closet with stuff you’ll only wear once or twice.